Create a Learning Agreement proposal and discuss it / Crie uma proposta de Contrato de Estudos e discuta-a / Elabore una propuesta de Contrato de Estudios y discútala.

Learning Agreement between The UWI Cave Hill Campus (Barbados) and Universite de Lille

Learning Agreement between The UWI Cave Hill Campus (Barbados) and Universite de Lille

por Paula Jarvis -
Número de respostas: 2

Good evening colleagues

I am uploading a Learning Agreement between The University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus in Barbados and the Universite de Lille in France. 

Barbados is in the Caribbean and I selected an institution in France and looked at a BSc Biology student moving for one semester in their second year.

The UWI's courses are worth 3 credits while those at Universite de Lille are generally worth 5 ECTS and in 1 instance 4 credits.

The UWI's system allows the student to take 2 elective courses which are are not required courses and would allow them to broaden their scope of study by selecting areas which would generally add to their knowledge of the subject but which are not available at the UWI.

Em resposta a 'Paula Jarvis'

Re: Learning Agreement between The UWI Cave Hill Campus (Barbados) and Universite de Lille

por Paola Palma -

Good afternoon Paula,

As soon as I saw what university you are from, I was curious to see the agreement that you designed. I am from UWI St. Augustine.

I see that the document was cazrefully prepared, I like how you found courses in both universities that have very similar names. I just have one question: When you selected the courses, did you find that the courses in the RI are offered at the same level that the courses in the SI? That is a problem that I usually have when I am selecting courses.  For example, as my students are English speakers learning Spanish as a foreign language, when they go to Spain to do one semester, as the language of instruction is Spanish, the courses that a 3rd year student would do in St. Augustine, a year 2 student would do in Spain. Any thoughts?

When I used the checklist, I also noticed that your learning agreement does not include conversion of credits or workload. I see that the form does not include a section to put this information (so, not really a fault in design), what we do here is to include them in another form provided by the international office (that includes those details) and it is attached to the learning agreement. How do you normally do it at your campus?

It would be awesome to have a conversation with you about your experience.

Paola

Em resposta a 'Paola Palma'

Re: Learning Agreement between The UWI Cave Hill Campus (Barbados) and Universite de Lille

por Paula Jarvis -

Good morning Paola

With respect to the courses offered we request that students obtain detailed course outlines which would allow Faculty at UWI to determine the level of equivalence. We have found over the years, in some instances, what is a UWI level 3 course could be a level 2 course at a partner but the required content is covered. In cases like this then the UWI equivalent credits are approved.

We ask that students seek approval, prior to registration of any courses which they seek to change when on exchange to avoid courses not being accepted on return to complete their programme. This has happened in the past as well.

With respect to the credit equivalents approved by the UWI, at the Cave Hill Campus, students are assigned 3 credits for the UWI equivalent course which goes on their transcript regardless of the amount of credits the course is worth at the hosting institution.

I hope this explanation has been useful.

Paula Jarvis